[GRASS-dev] Wrong or broken doc package for Ubuntu?

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 08:51:53 PDT 2018

Hi,

I have some issues getting GRASS GIS documentation in Ubuntu 18.04:

docker run --rm -it ubuntu:18.04

I use the standard package (no PPA):

apt-get update
apt-get install grass-doc

However, the documentation files are not there. For example, the following

ls /usr/lib/grass74/docs/html/grass_logo.png
ls /usr/share/doc/grass-doc/html/grass_logo.png

gives

ls: cannot access '/usr/lib/grass74/docs/html/grass_logo.png': No such file
or directory
ls: cannot access '/usr/share/doc/grass-doc/html/grass_logo.png': No such
file or directory

The parent directory .../docs/html/ is there with barscales, colortables,
icons, jquery, and northarrows as content.

When I look in which package the file is supposed to be, grass-doc is the
answer.

apt-get install apt-file
apt-file update
apt-file find grass_logo.png

grass-doc: /usr/share/doc/grass-doc/html/grass_logo.png

Installing grass, grass-dev, or grass-gui packages makes no difference.
Using ppa:ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable gives the same too.

Am I missing something? Is the package broken? Should I open a ticket and
where?

Vaclav