[GRASS-dev] [GRASS-user] experimental Python 3 support in trunk

Helmut Kudrnovsky hellik at web.de
Fri Sep 7 13:57:14 PDT 2018

>So far it seems to be that the Python virtual env works and, alternatively,
changing PATH (perhaps >together with creating a symlink) should work too.
Also those who needed to workaround that they distro >has python -> python3
symlink don't need to do the workaround anymore. Finally, we could include
patch, >or perhaps a sed/awk/python script, to change the shebangs in the
local copy of the code. Mac OS and MS >Windows might be little different,
but the virtual env approach should be applicable everywhere.

after some testing and searching in the net, it's really a pain to setup a
working python virtualenv in windows to compile winGRASS. and that's just
compiling, not talking about starting winGRASS in a python virtualenv. The
root cause may be that virtualenv's list of built-in modules is much smaller
than the system python's list.

I didn't find a way to solve this issue [1].

so I'm not sure that virtualenv will be a helping solution to test python3
in winGRASS.

[1] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2018-September/089630.html

-----
best regards