[GRASS-dev] [release planning] GRASS GIS 7.8.0 with Python3 support

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Mon Apr 1 01:10:46 PDT 2019

On 1/04/19 10:04, Martin Landa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ne 3. 3. 2019 v 19:33 odesílatel Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com> napsal:
>> my +1 for creating 7.8 releasebranch. It's a first step which can be
>> done ASAP. Ma
>
> based on original plan:
>
> """
> * Proposal of release: 4 Feb 2019
> * Soft freeze of release branch: 11 Feb 2019
> * RC1: 11 Mar 2019
> * RC2: 24 Mar 2019
> * RC3: if needed
> * Final release: 1 Apr 2019
> """
>
> an updated plan below :-)
>
> """
> * Proposal of release: 1 Apr 2019
> * Soft freeze of release branch: 8 Apr 2019
> * RC1: 6 May 2019
> * RC2: 20 May 2019
> * RC3: if needed
> * Final release: 27 May 2019
> """
>
> A new branch should be created between April 1 and 8. Make sense to you?

How good is Python 3 support in trunk currently, especially for wxGui.
As would be expected, most errors I've seen in the past seem to be
linked either to wxGUI, or to lib/python.

Do you think it would be a good idea to create a 7.8 release branch
before having solved most of the Python 3 problems, or wouldn't it be
better to focus on that in trunk and create the realease branch only
once this has reached a reasonable state.

It's a big piece of work and would mean a lot of backporting if there is
still a significant amount to do.

Moritz