[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #3815: compression: libzstd should be a default config and a requirement if ZSTD is default compression method

GRASS GIS trac at osgeo.org
Wed Apr 17 10:04:27 PDT 2019

#3815: compression: libzstd should be a default config and a requirement if ZSTD
is default compression method
-----------------------------------+-------------------------
 Reporter:  mlennert               |      Owner:  grass-dev@…
     Type:  defect                 |     Status:  new
 Platform:  Unspecified            |
-----------------------------------+-------------------------
 I just came upon the problem that in my grass installation ZSTD is
 configured and I thus worked with raster data which was automatically
 compressed using ZSTD, but when I transferred the data to our HPC system,
 I realized that grass there is not configure with ZSTD and the latter is
 currently not available on the system.

 As the r.compress man page says, ZSTD is the default compressor if
 available. However, when I check in current trunk's configure, it says:

 {{{
   --with-zstd             support Zstandard functionality (default: no)"
 }}}

 Does that mean that even if libzstd is available on a system, GRASS is not
 compiled with support for it, unless --with-zstd is set ?

 I find this situation a bit uncomfortable as it can lead to situations
 where the user creates data without actively thinking about the
 compression method and this data is the unusable elsewhere.

 I would plead, thus, for libzstd to become a compulsory requirement for
 GRASS GIS, and for the configure script to default to --with-zstd=yes.

 Or the default compression method should be put back to ZLIB.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/3815>
GRASS GIS <https://grass.osgeo.org>