[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #3815: compression: libzstd should be a default config and a requirement if ZSTD is default compression method

GRASS GIS trac at osgeo.org
Wed Apr 17 13:25:40 PDT 2019

#3815: compression: libzstd should be a default config and a requirement if ZSTD
is default compression method
--------------------------+-----------------------------------
  Reporter:  mlennert     |      Owner:  grass-dev@…
      Type:  defect       |     Status:  new
 Component:  Raster       |    Version:  svn-trunk
Resolution:               |   Keywords:  compression zstd zlib
       CPU:  Unspecified  |   Platform:  Unspecified
--------------------------+-----------------------------------

Comment (by mmetz):

 Replying to [ticket:3815 mlennert]:
 > I just came upon the problem that in my grass installation ZSTD is
 configured and I thus worked with raster data which was automatically
 compressed using ZSTD, but when I transferred the data to our HPC system,
 I realized that grass there is not configure with ZSTD and the latter is
 currently not available on the system.

 > As the r.compress man page says, ZSTD is the default compressor if
 available. However, when I check in current trunk's configure, it says:

 > {{{
 >   --with-zstd             support Zstandard functionality (default: no)"
 > }}}
 >
 > Does that mean that even if libzstd is available on a system, GRASS is
 not compiled with support for it, unless --with-zstd is set ?

 yes

 > I find this situation a bit uncomfortable as it can lead to situations
 where the user creates data without actively thinking about the
 compression method and this data is the unusable elsewhere.

 > I would plead, thus, for libzstd to become a compulsory requirement for
 GRASS GIS, and for the configure script to default to --with-zstd=yes.

 Done in trunk r74391. The default is now `--with-zstd=yes`, you can
 disable ZSTD support with `--with-zstd=no`. To be backported I guess.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/3815#comment:1>
GRASS GIS <https://grass.osgeo.org>