[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #3815: compression: libzstd should be a default config and a requirement if ZSTD is default compression method

GRASS GIS trac at osgeo.org
Thu Apr 25 06:21:39 PDT 2019

#3815: compression: libzstd should be a default config and a requirement if ZSTD
is default compression method
--------------------------+-----------------------------------
  Reporter:  mlennert     |      Owner:  grass-dev@…
      Type:  defect       |     Status:  new
 Component:  Raster       |    Version:  svn-trunk
Resolution:               |   Keywords:  compression zstd zlib
       CPU:  Unspecified  |   Platform:  Unspecified
--------------------------+-----------------------------------

Comment (by mmetz):

 Replying to [comment:6 mmetz]:
 > Replying to [comment:5 neteler]:
 > > Replying to [comment:3 mmetz]:
 > > > Replying to [comment:2 mlennert]:
 > > >
 > > > Done in relbr76 r74398
 > >
 > > Just FYI:
 > > This broke the manual-building cronjobs on the grass.osgeo.org server
 but I fixed it by now actively disabling zstd in the configure step
 (Debian Jessie doesn't have zstd yet and #3486 = compile in a docker
 container is still open).

 > A good reason to not make zstd a compulsory requirement. Debian Jessie
 has long-term support until 30 June 2020, and GRASS 7.x should IMHO run on
 this system (with appropriate configure options).

 I think there was some misunderstanding from my side. For maximum
 compatibility of GRASS raster data, the default compression should indeed
 be ZLIB, even if ZSTD is available. I made ZSTD the default if available
 in order to get it tested.

 There was one issue reported where raster data compressed with ZSTD 1.3.6
 could not be read with ZSTD 1.3.1, which remains a mystery.

 What are the opinions on changing the default compression back to ZLIB
 even if ZSTD is available?

 +1 from Moritz Lennert as I understand

 0 from me

--