[GRASS-dev] Try GRASS GIS online: CoCalc - cocalc.com

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 06:11:20 PST 2019

On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 7:14 AM Veronica Andreo <veroandreo at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi
>
> El mié., 18 dic. 2019 19:06, Stefan Blumentrath <
> Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no> escribió:
>
>> Done.
>> The CoCalc support team is on the issue. I also asked for a launcher
>> button for GRASS GIS...
>>
>> Still, I have to mention, that Vaclavs Jupyter notebook collection is
>> pretty impressive, and leads interested users right to the point when
>> served with Binder.
>>
>> For a "Launch Binder" button in the Readme.md on github we would just
>> have to add the following line:
>> [![Binder](
>> https://mybinder.org/badge_logo.svg)](https://mybinder.org/v2/gh/wenzeslaus/geospatial-modeling-course-jupyter/master
>> )
>> in the README and with one click people can get to very good example
>> exercises...
>>
>> But we would probably want have it a bit more prominent (e.g. on the new
>> website) than with just a small button at the top of the repo README...
>>

> In the new website, it would be cool! Please open an issue or PR at:
> https://github.com/OSGeo/grass-website
> The "Learn" section is a good fit :)
>
> Wanna look at it yourselv:
>> https://mybinder.org/v2/gh/wenzeslaus/geospatial-modeling-course-jupyter/master
>>

> impressive collection! Thanks Vashek! :)

Thanks Vero and Stefan,

The notebooks I meant for the website are:

https://github.com/wenzeslaus/try-grass-in-jupyter
https://github.com/wenzeslaus/try-grass-in-jupyter-with-bash
https://github.com/wenzeslaus/grass-zonal-of-solar (unfinished)

I envisioned the basic one would be on the top level (or close to it) like
Download as "Try online" [1] similarly to how Jupyter has it [2] (there it
takes you to further selection which we could do too). I maintain three
other repos which could be in a more general learning section once polished
enough for Binder.

https://github.com/wenzeslaus/geospatial-modeling-course-jupyter
https://github.com/wenzeslaus/Notebook-for-processing-point-clouds-in-GRASS-GIS
https://github.com/wenzeslaus/python-grass-addon

The part which I missed in CoCalc in comparison to Binder were direct links
to open a predefined environment, but it seems that CoCalc (just?) solved
it by combination of Shared Files and Anonymous sessions. That may also
work around the issue of no internet access without purchasing a plan. The
obvious plus of CoCalc is that we can have try GUI too (unless mybinder.org
just adds CoCalc or xpra-html5 as another option). Both are open source (I
actually tried running CoCalc locally), so I'm comfortable with both.

I'll follow up with another email about rollApp which is another option
here. Yet another option is Code Ocean. I'll try report on that some time
later.

Best,
Vaclav

[1] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2019-August/093053.html