[GRASS-dev] [release planning] GRASS GIS 7.4.4 - as a "friendship release" for QGIS

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 13:18:54 PST 2019

On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 9:50 PM Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> po 7. 1. 2019 v 21:40 odesílatel Markus Metz
> <markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com> napsal:
> > What is the reason to include the point release number in the path:
 %OSGEO4W_ROOT%\apps\grass\grass-7.4.2\lib ?

> probably inspired by possibility to install various GRASS versions in
parallel.

The mailing list is full of recommendations to use the latest released
GRASS7 version. Devs know how to use different GRASS7 versions in parallel,
but users should use the latest released GRASS7 version. This implies
%OSGEO4W_ROOT%\apps\grass\grass7\.

> > Why not
> > %OSGEO4W_ROOT%\apps\grass\grass-7.4\*
> > or even
> > %OSGEO4W_ROOT%\apps\grass\grass7\*
> >
> > The objective is to update GRASS7 and QGIS would not need to be
updated, QGIS could use a new GRASS7 version with bug fixes and
enhancements without the need to update QGIS itself.

> Make sense. We could do this change probably before 7.6.0RC2. But then
> this change should also affect lib names (but what about other
> platforms?), eg. libgrass_7.6.dll, see related issue [1].
>
> Any opinions?

Considering the GRASS release history it makes sense to keep the minor
version (y), but point releases (z) are only bugfix releases, no need to
keep z.

Markus M