[GRASS-dev] Unable to install manual for add-on r.estimap.recreation under Windows

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Mon Jan 14 05:43:38 PST 2019

A few more hooks:

1. Having the add-on installed via a GRASS GIS session, using
`g.extension` (not from within QGIS), expectedly it would be available
from within the "GRASS Shell" under QGIS' GRASS plugin.  However, trying
to launch the script from this "GRASS Shell" won't work?  Different
environment variable settings I guess.

2. Performing the installation in QGIS' GRASS Shell, ends up with the
warnings about the GRASS_ADDON_BASE variable, the ones I mentioned
earlier in this thread.

What is a/the recommended way to proceed on this?

A request for comments:

Weeks ago, I received from Médéric Ribreux detailed instructions on how
to build an entry for a GRASS GIS add-on in QGIS' Processing toolbox. I
will load these somewhere in the Wiki or in trac.  Nevertheless, I
decided to go the "GRASS plugin" way, rather than the "Processing"
toolbox.  The reason is that creating the interface for Processing is a
lot of work as the add-on itself is quite big.  Important updates in the
script itself would require to re-work on its interface for QGIS'
Processing. Using the "GRASS plugin" is way easier as it only requires
to update the QGIS-GRASS module configuration file (in other words: the
file named after the add-on's name with the extension .qgm).

My concern is how to achieve/ensure the add-ons inclusion under the
GRASS plugin?  I recall Stefan's advise on this that I would need to
write a routine to perform the proper file-copy actions.

Would you please share your thoughts on this?

To-do:

- some left-over work related with the '@MapsetName' part of map names
  when using the GUI.  I remember that `r.mapcalc` does not like this
  and it is required to do some "manual" work in the script to take care
  of it.

- update the manual.

- complete the QGIS-GRASS module configuration file

Thank you, Nikos