[GRASS-dev] Migration to git, use addons as test case?

Stefan Blumentrath Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Sun Jan 27 02:37:02 PST 2019

Hi again,

Having browsed some of the historical discussion and arguments made, moving to gitlab.com seems like a natural choice to me personally nowadays (with github beeing bought by Microsoft). If we (and equally important also OSGeo) see a significant advantage of hosting it in OSGeo infrastructure it seems to be doable to import/export projects that way.

If competetive copy-left solutions (like e.g. sr.ht or gitea) emerge and there pop up push factors to leave gitlab.com pluss hosting on OSGeo infrastructure is considered robust enough I would expect migration tools will be developed / provided (like import / export functions in gitlab).

So, I would be happy with a PSC decision on git hosting to speed up the process (as I in fact don have strong opinions here), but if you want to collect user and developer perspectives in advance, the drafted google-forms-survey could be launched as soon as on Monday (tomorrow), if of interest.

Cheers

Stefan