[GRASS-dev] GitHub: how to fwd pull requests to this list?

Anna Petrášová kratochanna at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 12:42:03 PDT 2019

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 12:07 PM Huidae Cho <grass4u at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The oldest PR is 2 months old. Using git for collaboration is very
> different from svn, I believe. Unlike with svn, you have to "actively"
> merge these PRs into your branch for testing (e.g., features interesting to
> you?) and wait for an approval from reviewers (?). Why did it not happen to
> these old PRs? Now, a less bigger question is no one cares about them and
> who is supposed to be responsible for reviewing and approving them?

Patches in svn tickets sometimes got old too. When no one cares (or has
time), then it doesn't matter if we use svn or github. I would say PRs on
github are easier to find and track than what we used before, although seem
harder to test, but that's what we signed up for.
If you want someone's review, you can request it. If not, you can merge it
yourself.

> For example, https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/52 fixes a very obvious
> formatting issue, which still needs to be approved? Tried to approve it
> myself, but self-nominating myself as a reviewer is pending... Hmm... Can I
> even merge it? The merge button seems to be activated. Confused...

I actually asked in the related ticket for testing because I couldn't
reproduce the problem (the formatting influences unicode/bytes). I didn't
merge it because there is always a chance more changes might be needed and
then you can update the PR and squash the commits and keep it nice and
clean.

Anna