[GRASS-dev] instructions to update my local copy of trunk

Panagiotis Mavrogiorgos pmav99 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 13:52:08 PDT 2019

> I'm completely lost...

Dear Vero,

As others have suggested, you pulled changes from upstream into your local
repo and you now need to push them to your personal fork (i.e. you need to
push then to origin).

git is more powerful than subversion, but this power comes with increased
complexity. You can't use git thinking it is subversion. In order to become
effective you need to understand the new concepts. Learning about them is
obviously not trivial but it is not that hard either. It just takes a
little bit of reading and some practise.

In case you are interested, I have heard good words about this tutorial:
https://learngitbranching.js.org/
Do take note that it has two sections: main and remote. The first one will
teach you about working with your local repo (rebasing etc) and the other
about working with remotes.

> It there a way (magic flag?) to avoid this out-of-sync in the first place?
> E.g., for the cronjobs I do not want to go there weekly and "git push"
> stuff around.
>
> Yes, but we need to know the contents of the cron scripts first.

all the best,
P.