[GRASS-dev] r.terraflow vs. r.hydrodem

Stefan Blumentrath Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Fri Jun 14 13:03:02 PDT 2019

Hei,

Before investing time in getting r.terraflow to work on larger regions I actually tried r.fill.dir.

The problem is that the results are significantly different and those of r.terraflow and r.hydrodem (where no breaching is performed) are more suitable for my needs. Here, r.terraflow fills most, r.fill.dir least and r.hydrodem inbetween.

Here a little comparison based on NC data:

g.extension extension=r.hydrodem operation=add
g.region -p raster=elevation

r.fill.dir --overwrite --verbose input=elevation output=elevation_fill_dir_depressionless direction=elevation_fill_dir_direction areas=elevation_fill_dir_pas

r.hydrodem -a --overwrite input=elevation memory=5000 output=elevation_hydrodem_depressionless

r.terraflow --overwrite --verbose elevation=elevation filled=elevation_terraflow_depressionless memory=5000

for m in terraflow fill_dir hydrodem
do
r.mapcalc --o expression="${m}_effect=if((elevation_${m}_depressionless-elevation)>0,elevation_${m}_depressionless-elevation,null())"
done

r.univar map="terraflow_effect"
total null and non-null cells: 2025000
total null cells: 1901290