[GRASS-dev] Introduction and Idea ( GSOC 2019 )

Maris Nartiss maris.gis at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 08:59:34 PST 2019

Hello,
svētd., 2019. g. 3. marts, plkst. 08:50 — lietotājs Luca Delucchi
(<lucadeluge at gmail.com>) rakstīja:

> On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 at 18:48, Soumya kanta Das
> <dassoumyakanta96 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
>
> Hi,
>
> > Myself Soumya Kanta Das, studying Geo-informatics. Currently i work on automating geospatial workflow and Machine learning applications. I have previously worked on automated identification of buildings in Satellite imagery using Deep learning. I have language proficiency in python.
> >
> > I would like to develop a Deep learning module for grass using tensorflow library and python 3. Which would be very helpful for end-users.
> >

> something already exists in GRASS GIS addons using tensorflow [0], you
> can have look there..

I have a working prototype of GRASS – Keras bridge (still needs a lot
of work to fix all edge cases + support of second image_data_format).
My first approach was to use pure Python code, but it turned out to be
realllly slooow. Large parts have to be written in C (linked via
ctypes). Currently there still is a speed penality due to GRASS raster
code not supporting mutlithreaded applications. It all can be worked
around.

Developing any high speed interface between ML libraries and GRASS
needs some (good) understanding of working with multidimensional
arrays in C and GRASS rasters in C.

> > Thank you.
> >

> [0] https://grass.osgeo.org/grass74/manuals/addons/i.ann.maskrcnn.html
>
> --