[GRASS-dev] Translations and command description/options

Panagiotis Mavrogiorgos pmav99 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 11:20:11 PST 2019

hello everyone

After activating the french locale and running GRASS GIS with

LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8 LANGUAGE=fr_FR.UTF-8 LC_MESSAGES=fr_FR.UTF-8
> bin.x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/grass77

both the GUI and the TUI are translated. E.g.

          __________  ___   __________    _______________
>          / ____/ __ \/   | / ___/ ___/   / ____/  _/ ___/
>         / / __/ /_/ / /| | \__ \\_  \   / / __ / / \__ \
>        / /_/ / _, _/ ___ |___/ /__/ /  / /_/ // / ___/ /
>        \____/_/ |_/_/  |_/____/____/   \____/___//____/
> Bienvenue dans le SIG GRASS 7.7.svn (exported)
> Page d'accueil du SIG GRASS :            https://grass.osgeo.org
> Cette version fonctionne avec :          Z Shell (/usr/bin/zsh)
> L'aide est disponible par la commande :  g.manual -i
> Voir les termes de la licence avec :     g.version -c
> Voir les termes de la licence avec :     g.version -x
> Si requis, redémarrer l'interface graphique avec :g.gui wxpython
> Lors prĂȘt pour la fermeture entrer :     exit

Nevertheless, the command descriptions and options are not. E.g.:

r3.cross.rast --help
> Creates cross section 2D raster map from 3D raster map based on 2D
> elevation map
> Usage:
>  r3.cross.rast [-m] input=string elevation=string output=string
>    [--overwrite] [--help] [--verbose] [--quiet] [--ui]
> Flags:
>   -m   Use 3D raster mask (if exists) with input map
> Parameters:
>       input   Input 3D raster map for cross section
>   elevation   2D elevation map used to create the cross section map
>      output   Resulting cross section 2D raster map

The question is: Are command description supposed to be translated too or
not? I mean, is everything working as expected or is there something wrong
in my setup?

with kind regards,
Panos