[GRASS-dev] GRASS GIS + PROJ 6 + GDAL 2.5

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Mar 13 01:36:49 PDT 2019

On Tue, 12 Mar 2019, Markus Metz wrote:

> Dear Roger,
>
> On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 10:49 AM Roger Bivand <Roger.Bivand at nhh.no> wrote:
>>
>> Since rgdal::make_EPSG() is facing the same problems of listing tabulated
>> EPSG fields as g.proj -l, I was very happy to see Markus' code in
>> g.proj/main.c mentioned in this thread, and have used this approach in
>>
> https://r-forge.r-project.org/scm/viewvc.php/pkg/src/proj_info6.cpp?view=markup&root=rgdal
>>
>> However, there are plenty of messages such as: "proj_as_proj_string:
>> Unsupported conversion method: Lambert Conic Conformal (West
> Orientated)". I
>> haven't installed GRASS trunk with PROJ6, so I can't see whether g.proj -l
>> also sees the same messages. If it does, maybe we could ask on the proj
> list
>> how they might be captured for summary reporting. I think they are coming
>> from line 5758 in src/iso19111/coordinateoperation.cpp or maybe line 906
> in
>> same file. Maybe PROJ now has an error handler that
>>
>> Another question concerns the issue of whether one needs to free objects
>> created, in particular proj_crs_info and pj. Not so important for g.proj,
>> which exists when done, but important for rgdal whose functions don't
> exit.
>>
>> Anyway, very helpful to see that Markus is looking at the same issues as
> we
>> are!
>
> Regarding parsing the traditional PROJ init files, I looked at pj_init.c in
> PROJ 5 and earlier and attempted to improve parsing those traditional init
> files in GRASS trunk r74224. I guess that R as well as GRASS is trying to
> support PROJ versions from 4(.8) onwards.

Thanks for letting me know where to look, I'll add this to our list of
hints (Edzer is shepherding the sf package). And yes, we keep getting
bitten by our bugs upsetting users of PROJ 4.8.0; Edzer was trying to set
up check instances, but there is always something (recently stale proj.pc
files reporting the wrong PROJ version).

Best wishes,

Roger

--
Roger Bivand