[GRASS-dev] GSoC Proposal: Python package for topology tools

Facundo Ferrin facundo.ferrin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 19:11:35 PDT 2019

Hi there!

My name is Facundo Ferrin. I am a nuclear engineer who is taking a master
in Computer Vision in Barcelona, and finally I found my opportunity to
contribute to OSGeo by applying two things that I really like: Python and
Backend development 🙌. I do not know exactly what I should write in this
first email, so I'll start by listing the projects I'm interested in.

I'm working in a company that is developing a platform for precision
agriculture called Auravant (https://www.auravant.com/). I work as a
backend developer and data analyst and I use daily almost every tool that
you post in the ideas: GeoServer, PostGIS, QGis. I'm also porting a tool
for polygon simplification called topoJSON (
https://github.com/fferrin/topojson).

---
*MY MAIN IDEA* is to start porting GRASS tools into a python package that
can be used in other projects (beyond the client to use by command line). I
don't know if it's something you have in mind but for offline and automated
analysis it would be very useful. I particularly had problems when I tried
to simplify geometries since the geometry of polygons was not taken into
account.
---

If it's not a viable project at this point, there are two projects that
also caught my attention:
- Create new rules for the Topology Framework in gvSIG Desktop
<https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GvSIG_GSoC_2019_Ideas>
- QGIS 3D Improvements
<https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code-2019-Ideas>

I think that maybe I can apply some of the things that I learned from
topoJSON for the first project, and things that I learned from the master
to the second project. Learn C++ is in my schedule (because for Computer
Vision is really important) so it will be really useful for me to program
in C++, and in case that the project is hard enough, I could make it in
Python (which has support for Qt) and it could be translated into C++ as a
GSoC 2020 project.

Hope to hear from you soon!