[GRASS-dev] Which is the correct WIND convention for creating a new mapset?

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Tue May 7 13:03:42 PDT 2019

On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 10:20 AM Panagiotis Mavrogiorgos <pmav99 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 9:38 PM Markus Metz <markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 6:21 PM Panagiotis Mavrogiorgos <pmav99 at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> > Hello all,
>> >
>> > I am a bit confused WRT what the expected WIND should be when you
create a new mapset.

>> > [...]
>>
>> > Is there an established convention?
>>
>> IMHO, new mapsets should use DEFAULT_WIND from PERMANENT.
>

> Thank you Markus, that's what I expected, too.
>

>> But the current region of a new mapset is often adjusted, therefore it
does not really matter if DEFAULT_WIND or WIND is used.

> I don't disagree, but still, I don't see what's the benefit of not using
the same convention everywhere. Furthermore, I truly don't understand why 4
different implementations are needed.

True, g.mapset -c should be used whenever possible. I adjusted the wxGUI
startup wizard and the tests in trunk r74472,3 (the tests should use
g.mapset -c, not yet implemented)

Markus M