[GRASS-dev] Which is the correct WIND convention for creating a new mapset?

Panagiotis Mavrogiorgos pmav99 at gmail.com
Wed May 8 01:22:09 PDT 2019

On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 11:03 PM Markus Metz <markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 10:20 AM Panagiotis Mavrogiorgos <pmav99 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 9:38 PM Markus Metz <
> markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com> wrote:

> create a new mapset.

> >> IMHO, new mapsets should use DEFAULT_WIND from PERMANENT.
> >

> > Thank you Markus, that's what I expected, too.
> >

> >> But the current region of a new mapset is often adjusted, therefore it
> does not really matter if DEFAULT_WIND or WIND is used.
> >

> > I don't disagree, but still, I don't see what's the benefit of not using
> the same convention everywhere. Furthermore, I truly don't understand why 4
> different implementations are needed.
>
> True, g.mapset -c should be used whenever possible.

I would argue that it is G_make_mapset() that should be used whenever
possible :)
(which of course, is being used by g.mapset -c, too)

I adjusted the wxGUI startup wizard and the tests in trunk r74472,3 (the
> tests should use g.mapset -c, not yet implemented)

I think that in the nc_spm_full_v2alpha dataset WIND and DEFAULT_WIND
differ, so 74473 might break any tests that don't explicitly set the region
themselves (which of course they should). We will see.

P.