[GRASS-dev] svn/trac -> git/github migration plan

Panagiotis Mavrogiorgos pmav99 at gmail.com
Sat May 18 15:03:11 PDT 2019

On Sat, 18 May 2019, 19:11 Markus Neteler, <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:.

> For fetching the updates, is this enough:
>
> git pull --all
> ?

Μmm... sometimes yes, but I wouldn't suggest it.

Git pull is essentially 2 operations in one. It is a git fetch, followed by
a git merge.

The potential problem is with the merge step.

When you have no local changes, git pull works just fine. When you have
local changes though, there might be a conflict with the remote ones. And
if there is a conflict, you need to resolve it.

Resolving the conflicts is not something you can avoid; you will eventually
have to do it, but you should probably not try to do it before you have
reviewed the (remote) changes you just fetched.

This is why I almost always do this in 3 steps:

1. git fetch --all
2. Review the fetched changes. It's often convenient to use a git client
here. gitg, qgit and tig are easy to use and lightweight options.
3. git merge

By injecting step 2 you can both check if there are any conflicts and think
what's the best way to resolve them. Moreover, if there are conflicts, you
can choose to postpone resolving them (resolving conflicts takes time). If
you do git pull you will have to resolve them straight away.

P.