[GRASS-dev] git: how to avoid bogus merge commits

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Wed May 22 20:18:07 PDT 2019

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 3:31 PM Markus Metz <markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Of course I could (should) do a "git pull" before a "git push", but I
> think it is not uncommon that someone forgets the "git pull" before the
> "git push".

It is not that executing push before pull causes problems. You simply need
to do pull when the branch in remote repo changed.

You would need to do pull before commit. If you do commit before pull,
rebasing (as suggested by Even) then redos the commits on top of updated
branch as if you would do them after pull.

It is the "Git is not Subversion" song. As far as I understood, Subversion
is similar to CVS. However, Git is *very* different than CVS: "Take
Concurrent Versions System (CVS) as an example of what not to do; if in
doubt, make the exact opposite decision." [1]

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Git#History