[GRASS-dev] [release planning] GRASS GIS 7.8.3

Nicklas Larsson n_larsson at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 29 01:34:46 PDT 2020

Hi all,

> On 28 Apr 2020, at 16:01, Anna Petrášová <kratochanna at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> and https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/564 (new wx release breaking stuff) but hopefully that should be relatively easy to fix
>
> Anna

Some thoughts: maybe we should skip support for wxPython 4.1.0 for the 7.8.3 release? Looking at the draft PR [1] addressing this, albeit not finished, quite a number of changes are required. This should be tested thoroughly, even the most seemingly innocent change can lead to unintended and unexpected bugs. Personally, I'm now quite glad we now -- at long last -- have a working and fairly stable version for mac.

The questions are how quick will the wxPython 4.1 be established/extensively used (how urgent is the support for it), and for how long are we willing to postpone this 7.8.3 release (for fixing and testing).

Perhaps a solution is to make an imminent GRASS 7.10 release with 4.1 support as suggested elsewhere [2] including the numerous fixes to be made with flake8 and maybe black.

(This is of course only relevant if the number of changes required increase substantially from the present PR draft.)

/Nicklas

[1] https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/570

[2] https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/543#issuecomment-619229231