[GRASS-dev] [release planning] GRASS GIS 7.8.3

Anna Petrášová kratochanna at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 06:46:08 PDT 2020

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 4:34 AM Nicklas Larsson <n_larsson at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> > On 28 Apr 2020, at 16:01, Anna Petrášová <kratochanna at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > and https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/564 (new wx release breaking
> stuff) but hopefully that should be relatively easy to fix
> >
> > Anna
> >

> Some thoughts: maybe we should skip support for wxPython 4.1.0 for the
> 7.8.3 release? Looking at the draft PR [1] addressing this, albeit not
> finished, quite a number of changes are required. This should be tested
> thoroughly, even the most seemingly innocent change can lead to unintended
> and unexpected bugs. Personally, I'm now quite glad we now -- at long last
> -- have a working and fairly stable version for mac.

Most changes are only in layout flags, these are easy to review and the
worst case is the layout may look strange, so I wouldn't worry about this
part too much. But I am more worried about the other things I didn't have
time to fix yet. For example opening file menu freezes my computer, memory
starts allocating. So I at least need more time to figure out the issues.
Also testing on other platforms would be great.

> The questions are how quick will the wxPython 4.1 be
> established/extensively used (how urgent is the support for it), and for
> how long are we willing to postpone this 7.8.3 release (for fixing and
> testing).

AFAICT, 4.1 is default in PyPI so when you install wx that way, you get
4.1. I am not sure at this point, I agree 7.8.3 should get released as soon
as possible.