[GRASS-dev] Week 10 report: Creation of a new GRASS GIS startup mechanism

L.Kladivova L.Kladivova at seznam.cz
Sun Aug 9 07:38:01 PDT 2020

Hello Community,

I am sending my report for Week 10 (August 3-August 9). The report can also
be found in the project wiki: https://trac.osgeo.org/…dow
(https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2020/StartupWindow).

1) What did I complete this week?
First of all, I finished two PRs related to two modes "Allow edits outside
of the current mapset" and "Restrict edits to the current mapset". The first
PR deals with the implementation of these restrictions (see ​https://github.
com/OSGeo/grass/issues/843(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/843), ​
https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/848
(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/848)). The motion is that when Allow
editing mode is ON we are allowed to rename and delete outside of the
current mapset, if OFF no edits are restricted to the current mapset. The
second PR suggested the new symbol since previous one was very misleading
(see ​https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/844
(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/844), ​https://github.com/OSGeo/
grass/pull/870(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/870)). Secondly, I
implemented storing list of databases in settings (see ​https://github.com/
OSGeo/grass/issues/842(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/842), ​https://
github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/858(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/858)).
Thirdly, I enabled the option of deleting multiple locations (see ​https://
github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/874(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/874)
, ​https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/875
(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/875)).

Currently, there are 3 other PRs that are in the process:

   * Start in a demo/startup location (see ​https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/
   issues/862(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/862), ​https://github.
   com/OSGeo/grass/pull/868(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/868))

This is almost done. However, there will be another PR opened that is gonna
treat the initial state of GRASS more systematically.

   * Distinguish mapsets by ownership and lock in Data tab (see ​https://
   github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/714
   (https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/714), ​https://github.com/OSGeo/
   grass/pull/849(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/849))

Almost done, just some smaller cosmetic changes. In this PR I also
established the mapset key "current". Therefore, not only the locked mapset
and the mapset owned by the different owner than the current user, but also
the current mapset is distinguished by label.

   * Data Catalog: Double click on map from different locations fails - BUG
   (see ​https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/884
   (https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/884), ​https://github.com/OSGeo/
   grass/pull/886(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/886))

The initial suggestion was to inform the user that the map is in a different
location and ask if they want to switch to this mapset. However, there are
probably more ways in the game how to solve this issue (e.g. not allowing to
display those maps at all?...) Should be discussed.

2) What am I going to achieve for next week?

I am gonna end up those above-mentioned PRs. Then I will continue with
checking for gislock and ownership when performing operations with mapsets
and locations. Furthermore, I am gonna reflect changes, I made in Data
Catalog, in GUI.

   * Check for gislock and other issues when deleting/renaming/editing
   mapset and location in catalog (see ​https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/
   issues/801(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/801))
   * Reflect changes done from Data Catalog in GUI and vice versa (see ​
   https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/885
   (https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/885))

      * when map is renamed in data catalog while it is displayed, the layer
      needs to be changed otherwise rendering fails
      * when map is moved elsewhere in data catalog while it is displayed
      * new map is created (this item needs to be expanded, there are
      multiple ways a new map is created)
      * current mapset/location is changed from menu
      * etc.

3) Is there any blocking issue?
No, it is not.

Any suggestions are welcome.