[GRASS-dev] git usage question: error: failed to push some refs...

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sat Aug 22 02:58:06 PDT 2020

Hi devs,

I am struggling to push my code simplification (thanks for the tip,
Vaclav) to https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/922

Now I get:

git push origin memory_grassrc_setting
To github.com:neteler/grass.git
 ! [rejected]            memory_grassrc_setting ->
memory_grassrc_setting (non-fast-forward)
error: failed to push some refs to 'git at github.com:neteler/grass.git'
hint: Updates were rejected because the tip of your current branch is behind
hint: its remote counterpart. Integrate the remote changes (e.g.
hint: 'git pull ...') before pushing again.
hint: See the 'Note about fast-forwards' in 'git push --help' for details.

What happened, if I recall correctly, is that I edited one thing via
GitHub web interface.
This will be missing from my local repo and hence the push command
throws an error.

What's the trick to sync it? (I RTFM'ed for a while but...)

My remotes are this:

git remote -v
origin    git at github.com:neteler/grass.git (fetch)
origin    git at github.com:neteler/grass.git (push)