[GRASS-dev] [release planning] GRASS GIS 7.8.4

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sat Aug 22 03:37:35 PDT 2020

On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 6:11 AM Anna Petrášová <kratochanna at gmail.com> wrote:

> There is a long list of merged PRs which have backport needed label:
> https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pulls?page=2&q=is%3Apr+is%3Aclosed+label%3Abackport_needed

I have cleaned it up.
Now there are like 7 or so remaining.

> We never discussed this, but I assumed when somebody backports a commit, they would remove the label

Yes, please.

> (of course it can happen you forget). I went through a couple of them and some of them were backported and some not. There is a long list, so I wonder if other devs can also review this and make sure everything is backported or remove the label if the plan is not to backport. Or did I misunderstand how to use the label?

Indeed, it should be used like this:

- PR is submitted against master
- in case that it is relevant, the label "backport_needed" is set
- testing is done
- in case it is merged:
   - either the PR submitters themselves backport (with git
cherry-picking that's very easy) and unset the label "backport_needed"
   - or, if not possible, then the remaining label indicates that this
is still to be done.
- in any case: once backport was done, unset the label "backport_needed"

Does that make sense?

Markus