[GRASS-dev] Official GRASS conda recipes?

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 17:20:18 PDT 2020

Hi Laurent,

Thanks for looking into this. Here are some further pointers I can give you.

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 12:43 PM Laurent C. <lrntct at gmail.com> wrote:

> The grass build system is a bit confusing, sometimes it completes while
> failing to build most of the tools. The grass78 binary will work, but
> basically nothing else will.

The fail or pass should be signaled by a return code and visually by the
list of failing directories. The "grass78 binary" is Python script, so more
a general executable, than a binary. Its compilation does not depend on the
rest. This actually applies to most of the GRASS GIS which is overall quite
modular and failure to build one part does not influence other parts. Well,
that of course does not apply to things which are actually dependent on
something, such as C modules which depend at least on the gis library.

> In the only conda binary package I made, I solved the building issues by
> switching the original Makefile for a CMakeLists. But it was a very simple
> software. Building grass with cmake is likely to require quite a bit of
> work. And my knowledge of cmake is very slim anyway.

Please see the relevant PR:

https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/348

Best,
Vaclav