[GRASS-dev] Official GRASS conda recipes?

Laurent C. lrntct at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 09:43:31 PDT 2020

Hi Vaclav,

For the last week I've tried to build grass with conda-build on Linux. It
failed in different ways. Even the available online recipes that are
supposed to work (CSDMS, iota2), fail to build on my computer.
The grass build system is a bit confusing, sometimes it completes while
failing to build most of the tools. The grass78 binary will work, but
basically nothing else will.
I have almost zero knowledge of autotools and the build system of GRASS
seems quite complex. Therefore I do not understand which issues the patches
in the existing recipes are supposed to solve, and how to solve the
compilation problems I ran into.
I believe this work should be undertaken by someone who understands how the
build system works.
In the only conda binary package I made, I solved the building issues by
switching the original Makefile for a CMakeLists. But it was a very simple
software. Building grass with cmake is likely to require quite a bit of
work. And my knowledge of cmake is very slim anyway.

This is a topic of interest to me, and I would be glad to help, but I am
afraid I can't do much.

Best,
Laurent