[GRASS-dev] Creation of a new GRASS GIS startup mechanism through GSoC 2020

L.Kladivova L.Kladivova at seznam.cz
Fri Mar 27 06:10:19 PDT 2020

Dear GRASS community,

I am Linda Kladivova, a master student of Geomatics from Czech Technical
University in Prague currently studying at Kansas State University in the
US, coming home at the beginning of June.

I would like to work on a new GRASS GIS startup mechanism. It is a very
important topic and I remember, when I started with Grass, it was not much
pleasant for me and fully understand that this start can discourage many
people from doing more work. But It is a pity because Grass GIS can offer a
lot of useful things.

For my technical knowledge, I am used to working with QGIS, ArcGIS and I
have experience with simple tasks in the Grass environment as well. In my
life, I was mainly focused on databases - SQL (PL/SQL) and I also deal with
the development of automation scripts related to databases via Powershell
and Python. I do not have any experience with wxPython, but had several
courses at school focused on C++ (Qt framework). I think this project would
generally enrich me in terms of programming. Those experiences I could then
definitely employ when programming my diploma thesis - a library in Python
addressing the problem of missing personal data in the Czech Cadastre
Exchange Format. You can have a look at it at my GitHub profile: https://
github.com/lindakladivova/2019-d-ctios
(https://github.com/lindakladivova/2019-d-ctios)

I would be very happy to participate in this project that really makes sense
and helps people. I have already contacted and discussed the features of the
project with Anna and Vaclav Petras and Martin Landa. All three would be
willing to be my mentors.

Thank you for your consideration and hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,

Linda