[GRASS-dev] Calling all imagery (especially i.maxlik and i.smap) users

Veronica Andreo veroandreo at gmail.com
Wed May 6 12:11:55 PDT 2020

Hi Māris,

Yes, with GRASS 8 in the horizon, this is the right time to change some
things.

[...]

> #1 Should there be subgroups at all?
> There has been a call to completely eliminate subgroups [1] and stick
> only with groups. If you are using subgroups, this is the right moment
> to share your user story (and not hypothetical one!).

I do not use subgroups at all, indeed I'm mostly annoyed by modules asking
for subgroups, too. Moreover, in the hypothetical case of using subgroups
to store for example only bands, indices, textures, etc., some very useful
addons like r.learn.ml do not consider subgroups, hence I'd still need to
create different groups anyway.
I'm totally in favour of removing subgroups.

> #2 Should i.maxlik add its output to the group?
> Current implementation of i.maxlik adds classification result to the
> input group [2]. This prevents use of i.maxlik with imagery group from
> other mapset. I would vote to remove such feature. If you have a use
> case where such functionality is needed, speak now, or forever hold
> your peace.

+1 for removal of this behaviour too

> #3 Should signature files be handled similarly to raster colors?
> i.cluster, i.gensig and i.gensigset write signature files to imagery
> subrgoup. This is not possible if group is located in other mapset. My
> proposal — handle signatures as raster colours — signatures are always
> saved in current mapset. Thus signatures created for a group in other
> mapset would be not visible in other mapsets.

Fully agree with Sajid here

Cheers,
Vero