[GRASS-dev] Milestone management: 7.8.5 or 7.10 or 8.0.0?

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Tue Oct 13 08:13:02 PDT 2020

On 2020-10-13 10:42 a.m., Jeff McKenna wrote:
> On 2020-10-13 10:29 a.m., Anna Petrášová wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> just to confirm what Martin and Vero were saying, the problem is we
>> have breaking changes (TGIS) in master and new, fairly major features
>> (data catalog, new startup mechanism) and probably some other things,
>> so we can't simply branch off 7.10 without disabling those. So that's
>> why during the recent call we had we leaned towards releasing 8. I
>> agree beginning of 2021 should be realistic, although I am not sure
>> what is the timeline of the PROJ changes.
>> We have the GRASS 8 ideas here, so it would be worth reviewing what
>> could be realistically accomplished:
>> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Grass8Planning
>>

>> Anna
>>

> Regarding PROJ, some critical changes are coming for the PROJ 7.2.0
> release on 1st November (a lot has to do with network/SSL/CA bundle,
> which is important these days), and then another release 7.2.1 is set
> for 1st January, which could work nicely with your planned early 2021
> timeline for GRASS.  (PROJ always stays strict to those planned release
> dates)
>
> -jeff

I should also mention that PROJ 7.2.0 will also importantly be the first
release with the new EPSG database model (v10), which GRASS and so many
other software depend on (EPSG geodetic database for projection lookup).
  That could also be an important upcoming change for GRASS to leverage.

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
co-founder of FOSS4G