[GRASS-dev] Milestone management: 7.8.5 or 7.10 or 8.0.0?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue Oct 13 08:34:05 PDT 2020

> > Regarding PROJ, some critical changes are coming for the PROJ 7.2.0
> > release on 1st November (a lot has to do with network/SSL/CA bundle,
> > which is important these days), and then another release 7.2.1 is set
> > for 1st January, which could work nicely with your planned early 2021
> > timeline for GRASS.  (PROJ always stays strict to those planned release
> > dates)
> >
> > -jeff
>
> I should also mention that PROJ 7.2.0 will also importantly be the first
> release with the new EPSG database model (v10), which GRASS and so many
> other software depend on (EPSG geodetic database for projection lookup).
>   That could also be an important upcoming change for GRASS to leverage.

I should moderate this in saying that despite PROJ 7.2.0 undergoing internally significant
changes w.r.t its database, they are done in such a way that they are intended to be mostly
internal details with none or little outside visibility. See https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ/
pull/2370 for details of the changes. So hopefully this release will not be significantly
different than another one where the EPSG database is updated, where content can change a
bit.

PROJ 8.0 will expose a new concept, DatumEnsemble, which might impact some downstream
users that currently use proj_crs_get_datum(), but GRASS doesn't seem to use according to
https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/search?q=proj_crs_get_datum , so there's good chance that
the impact will be minimal too. See
https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ/pull/2371 for details

So don't panick :-)