[GRASS-dev] GRASS GIS single layout (GSoC 2021)

Denis Ovsienko denis at ovsienko.info
Fri Apr 16 11:32:41 PDT 2021

On Sun, 11 Apr 2021 11:51:32 +0200 (CEST)
"L.Kladivova" <L.Kladivova at seznam.cz> wrote:

> Idea:
>
> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/wxGUIDevelopment/SingleWindow

I trust you mean well. Let me provide some input.

My own GUI arrangement for GRASS work was on two monitors (same size,
same DPI). The first monitor with the two smaller GRASS windows plus
non-GRASS windows of the project was in in horizontal orientation. The
second monitor with the GRASS map display was in vertical orientation
to fit the region of interest. And I was running out of screen space
all the time, so if this was a commercial project, there would be at
least one more monitor to provide more space for the multiple
independent windows. Clearly, for a single window UI it would not make
as much sense.

One other interesting arrangement is a more or less ordinary monitor to
display some GUI in normal usable size plus another "high DPI" monitor
to display some other GUI that needs to show as many physical pixels at
once as possible. Of course, neither the physical size nor the pixel
count match between the monitors, so when a window spans more than one
monitor it becomes difficult to use.

Finally, GIMP has been using multiple window UI for many years, and the
users figure the GUI out just fine.

So a multiple window GUI makes a sound use case and it would be nice
to keep it reasonably accessible.

--
    Denis Ovsienko