[GRASS-dev] GRASS GIS single layout (GSoC 2021)

Huidae Cho grass4u at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 06:38:53 PDT 2021

Linda,

Would it be feasible to implement both single and multi-window modes just
like GIMP? I'm not sure how GIMP maintains both, but I can clearly see the
pros of multi-windows when you have multiple monitors. Maybe, docking panes?

Best,
Huidae

On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 3:10 PM Denis Ovsienko <denis at ovsienko.info> wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Apr 2021 11:51:32 +0200 (CEST)
> "L.Kladivova" <L.Kladivova at seznam.cz> wrote:
>
> > Idea:
> >
> > https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/wxGUIDevelopment/SingleWindow
>
> I trust you mean well. Let me provide some input.
>
> My own GUI arrangement for GRASS work was on two monitors (same size,
> same DPI). The first monitor with the two smaller GRASS windows plus
> non-GRASS windows of the project was in in horizontal orientation. The
> second monitor with the GRASS map display was in vertical orientation
> to fit the region of interest. And I was running out of screen space
> all the time, so if this was a commercial project, there would be at
> least one more monitor to provide more space for the multiple
> independent windows. Clearly, for a single window UI it would not make
> as much sense.
>
> One other interesting arrangement is a more or less ordinary monitor to
> display some GUI in normal usable size plus another "high DPI" monitor
> to display some other GUI that needs to show as many physical pixels at
> once as possible. Of course, neither the physical size nor the pixel
> count match between the monitors, so when a window spans more than one
> monitor it becomes difficult to use.
>
> Finally, GIMP has been using multiple window UI for many years, and the
> users figure the GUI out just fine.
>
> So a multiple window GUI makes a sound use case and it would be nice
> to keep it reasonably accessible.
>
> --
>     Denis Ovsienko

Huidae Cho, Ph.D., GISP, /hidɛ t͡ɕo/, 조희대, 曺喜大
GRASS GIS Developer
https://idea.isnew.info