[GRASS-dev] [release planning] GRASS GIS 8: create new release branch

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 19:28:38 PDT 2021

Are we ready to create the 8.0 release branch?

Once we create it, we will need to backport (cherry-pick) updates from the
master branch when needed.

Please see the following for the individual issues we still have and post
here if you see some priorities.

On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 5:24 PM Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Windows build & test is just bad (no bug or PR so far?),
>

> Can someone give an update on that, please?
>

> #1683 is not merged yet, but missing sh in the test environment is not a
> blocker in this case.

https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/1683

Tests are running!

>  CentOS is too
>
>> old (#1709) & needs auto tools update to fix it (or at least env
>> variable in build script as I just have done to enable testing in
>> #1501),
>

> ...or CentOS 8, CentOS Stream, or remove the CentOS test.
>
> https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/1709#issuecomment-880215427

It would be better if Autotools are updated, but CentOS build works now.
Are there any pressing issues?

>> I would also strongly advocate merging ctypes upgrade before 8.0
>>

> Seems to be close to being finished too.

ctypes update is closer everyday, but not finished yet. Maybe not needed
for 8.0?

https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/1651

#1501 (Integrate band references into portable signature files) is close to
being merged.

#1454 (TGIS DB v3 backward compatible with v2) has perhaps lower priority
since there is both upgrade and downgrade.

As for issues linked to the milestone, please review what is there. See
what needs to stay there and what can be moved. For example, all issues
which are features and are not changing existing API can be moved to 8.2
milestone.

https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/milestone/4