[GRASS-dev] [release planning] GRASS GIS 8: create new release branch

Veronica Andreo veroandreo at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 09:20:42 PDT 2021

Hi all,

El vie, 6 ago 2021 a las 4:29, Vaclav Petras (<wenzeslaus at gmail.com>)
escribió:

> Are we ready to create the 8.0 release branch?

Seems we are!!

Once we create it, we will need to backport (cherry-pick) updates from the
> master branch when needed.
>
> Please see the following for the individual issues we still have and post
> here if you see some priorities.
>
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 5:24 PM Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>> Windows build & test is just bad (no bug or PR so far?),
>>

>> Can someone give an update on that, please?
>>

>> #1683 is not merged yet, but missing sh in the test environment is not a
>> blocker in this case.
>>

> https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/1683
>
> Tests are running!
>

>>  CentOS is too
>>
>>> old (#1709) & needs auto tools update to fix it (or at least env
>>> variable in build script as I just have done to enable testing in
>>> #1501),
>>

>> ...or CentOS 8, CentOS Stream, or remove the CentOS test.
>>
>> https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/1709#issuecomment-880215427
>>

> It would be better if Autotools are updated, but CentOS build works now.
> Are there any pressing issues?
>

>> I would also strongly advocate merging ctypes upgrade before 8.0
>>>

>> Seems to be close to being finished too.
>>

> ctypes update is closer everyday, but not finished yet. Maybe not needed
> for 8.0?
>
> https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/1651

Milestone was changed to 8.2 and Nicklas suggest to move forward with
release branch 8

> On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 4:28 AM Maris Nartiss <maris.gis at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > From what has the milestone 8.0 and is not mentioned below and is
>> major, I
>> > see only #1454 and #1501 which are related to band references. Maybe we
>> > should again consider reverting the band references in order to get 8.0
>> out
>> > or how do you see the status of #1454 and #1501, Martin and Maris?
>> >
>> > https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/milestone/4
>> > https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/1454
>> > https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/1501
>>
>> For #1454 the main remaining (and unsolvable) issue is semantics of a
>> mapset layout and its management functions. I just commited a more
>> clean workaround and thus it should be ready for a merge. A proper
>> solution will have to wait for GRASS 9 when we could reorganize mapset
>> structure and thus also clean-up naming, handling functions etc.
>>

> #1501 (Integrate band references into portable signature files) is close
> to being merged.

this one was merged just after you posted this

#1454 (TGIS DB v3 backward compatible with v2) has perhaps lower priority
> since there is both upgrade and downgrade.
>
> As for issues linked to the milestone, please review what is there. See
> what needs to stay there and what can be moved. For example, all issues
> which are features and are not changing existing API can be moved to 8.2
> milestone.
>
> https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/milestone/4

 If no further objections I'd suggest to move forward with grass8 release
branch creation

Best,
Vero