[GRASS-dev] Min. req. of programming language standard support, GRASS GIS 8

Maris Nartiss maris.gis at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 01:40:11 PST 2021

> @those who want to use more recent standards: what are your reasons for that
> ?

Many of GRASS contributors are programmers by chance and not by trade.
(I still consider it to be a miracle that I can spew out reasonably
working C code) A lot of online tutorials and SO answers do not
clarify if features presented in examples are confirming to a certain
standard. Thus demanding conformance to an older C standard would just
increase extra burden on PR reviewers to check conformance and provide
guidance on changing code to confirm with an older C standard.
Automatic checks will not generate alternative versions of code to
comply with older standards. As we have only a few C folks who can
write really advanced code, I would love to see them developing new
exciting features instead of guarding code base from code confirming
to more recent C standard.

Just my 0.02,
Māris.