[GRASS-dev] Min. req. of programming language standard support, GRASS GIS 8

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 13:32:12 PST 2021

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 6:30 AM Huidae Cho <grass4u at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Nicklas for the great summary! That helped a lot.
>
> I was wondering if we have a list of all supported platforms somewhere?
We have official downloads for Linux, Mac, and Windows. Are these three
only "officially" supported platforms? I know GRASS is compilable on
FreeBSD [1] and maybe (Open|Net)BSD. Is that it? Minix3 supports GDAL
1.11.3, PROJ 4.9.2, GEOS 3.5.0, and GCC 6.2.0 [2]. I know... they are a
little behind.

I think it is a bit more complicated, e.g. there is not one single Linux
version. We need to make a decision not only about platforms, but also
about platform versions. Traditionally, GRASS aims to be compatible with
all currently supported platform versions. For RHEL, this would mean
support for RHEL 7 (ignoring the extended support for RHEL 6 until 2024).
For Debian, this would mean support for Stretch (Debian 9). For FreeBSD,
this would mean support for FreeBSD 11.x. For Solaris, this would mean
support for Solaris 11 (ignoring the extended support for Solaris 10 until
2024). I have previously tested GRASS on all these platforms, but not on
all supported versions of these platforms. IMHO, it is ok if the current
GRASS version is running on the current version of these OSs (RHEL, Debian,
FreeBSD, Solaris) which are often used in production environments.

The derived and often more up-to-date OSs like Fedora, Ubuntu, etc. do not
seem to be a problem.

Markus M

> Since we cannot (or will be difficult to) go back once we move to a newer
C standard, I think we need to discuss what platforms we want to support
officially or unofficially (?) first. Is [3] or [4] (GRASS 6.3) still
valid? Has anyone tried all or some of those platforms recently (Sun
Solaris (SPARC/Intel), Silicon Graphics Irix, HP-UX, DEC-Alpha, AIX, BSD,
iPAQ/Linux and other UNIX compliant platforms)? I think at some point this
list was removed from a release announcement. Maybe, we are being more
realistic because many of these platforms are now irrelevant or we just
don't have enough resources or interest to maintain such a list of
supported platforms anymore?

https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2021-February/094913.html

>> I have not studied the different C standards and the state of their
implementation in different compilers and their different versions in
depth, and thus appreciate very much the summary of Nicklas!

>> IIUC, Nicklas recommends to allow C11 standard features in GRASS C code,
with no need to change the current code base, and all compilers in all
supported platforms apparently support C11.

mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:

>> > Thanks for the clarification.
>> >
>> > In light of that I agree that we should choose the oldest standard
possible, unless we _really_ need something only present in a more recent
version.