[GRASS-dev] Min. req. of programming language standard support, GRASS GIS 8

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 20:35:11 PST 2021

On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 4:28 AM Nicklas Larsson via grass-dev <
grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Let me put up a a suggestion for min. req. for coming GRASS GIS 8 as a
> starting point of discussion:
> - Python 3.7
> - C11
> - C++11

Given that first release of Python 3.7 was in 2018-06-27, won't any system
with Python 3.7 also have a compiler capable of handling C and C++ higher
than C11/C++11? For example, if I'm reading Repology correctly, Debian
Stable has Python 3.7 [1] and GCC 8 [2] which has at least some C17
support, C++17 support, and definitely C++14 support [3].

Similarly to the GDAL and PROJ issue where I don't think it is necessary to
have GRASS C89/C++98 compliant when you need C++11 for GDAL anyway. Here, I
think that either the C and C++ versions are unnecessary low or the Python
version is too high if Debian Stable is a representative sample.

[1] https://repology.org/project/python/packages
[2] https://repology.org/project/gcc/packages
[3] https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-8.2.0/gcc/Standards.html#C-Language