[GRASS-dev] Moving to Black for Python formatting

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 20:24:48 PST 2021

On Fri, Feb 26, 2021 at 7:01 AM Luca Delucchi <lucadeluge at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 at 06:00, Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > All this applies to core repo, not the grass-addons repo. Ideas and
> volunteers are welcome.
> >

> Do you have any suggestions on how to proceed to grass-addons?
> Did you just run blake inside a folder or did you do something more?

Here is what I did:

* Applied Black.
* Added pyproject.toml with configuration for Black.
* Modified Flake8 rules.
* Added a Black GitHub workflow.

The application of Black can use some touches here and there. You need to
use the same Black version. You may want to modify some lines before and
after (I did just things I caught for one reason or another - you cannot
review all changes). You may run Flake8 to check for long lines after you
applied Black and see if there is something you can resolve. I did separate
PRs for different directories, but that was because the codebases are
different in each and also a little bit to minimize conflicts with other
PRs (these should not be an issue with grass-addons repo). Commit per
directory, but then squashing them when merging the PR might be a good
approach for grass-addons.