[GRASS-dev] Min. req. of programming language standard support, GRASS GIS 8

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 13:15:53 PST 2021

markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com>:
> >Hi Huidae,
> >
> >On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 6:30 PM Huidae Cho <grass4u at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Markus,
> >>
> >> I think we have to think about what benefits it would bring to us by
> >modernizing C code. Probably, not much at all. Personally, I would keep
it
> >as is because the minimum set of anything (e.g., ANSI C with no new
> >features) would probably be more portable, I believe. In other words,
what
> >are we missing from C99?
> >
> >as I mentioned, there is no need to modernize the GRASS C code. The
> >question is if we officially allow C99 features.
> >
> >For example a number of useful math-related functions and macros are only
> >available with C99. See /usr/include/math.h on your system and search for
> >C99. Also a number of features related to data types, particularly for
> >various int datatypes (stdint.h), become available with C99. And the
> >geographic lib in PROJ with src/geodesic.c wants C99. For new PROJ
> >versions, C99 is a requirement.
>

> If proj requires it, doesn't it automatically become a requirement for
GRASS as well ?

No, because the code base of other libs might have completely different
compile requirements. A software can use functions and libs of other
software packages, but does not need to follow the compile standards of
those other software packages, because they are compiled independently.

Markus M