[GRASS-dev] GSoC 2021: Week 7: First steps towards a new GRASS GIS Single-Window GUI

Linda Kladivová L.Kladivova at seznam.cz
Sat Jul 24 02:54:45 PDT 2021

Hello everyone,

I am sending my Week 7 report (July 19 - July 23). It can be also found at
the project wiki: https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2021/
SingleWindowLayout#Week
(https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2021/SingleWindowLayout#Week7)7
(https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2021/SingleWindowLayout#Week7).

I would also like to do a little advertising here, so that's the reason why
I am sending this e-mail to all GRASS users :-) If you are interested in
real Single-Window proposals (not just mock-ups [1]), feel free to look at
the new discussion Issue here [5]. The comments of your opinions/preferences
will be very appreciated!

And now, back to the report :-) :

1) What did I complete this week?

This week I have been working on the coding of basic functionalities for the
Single-Window layout on my locally merged branch. First I set up several
Issues for those, however, since I am still working on my local branch, I
eventually decided to address more Issues within one PR (so previously
created Issues were merged into two larger ones - see [2], [3]).

I integrated the Map Display into a new AuiNotebook and fixed the existing
events - see PR [4]. These changes are ready to merge.

I also created two Issues that will be important after the integration of
basic functionalities and the creation of new events for the AuiNotebook
center pane. The first one is kind of a discussion Issue. We can share
suggestions there for what the startup GUI could look like. I have already
added some proposals based on my local branch, see [5]. I am aware of the
priority of the G8 release, so I feel it is something to be discussed later
on.

The second Issue [6] talks about an important enhancement that allows a user
to undock the AuiNotebook pane into the wx.Frame widget (will be enabled
through a button probably). This enhancement is very crucial as it will
allow users who like the Multi-Window layout to continue using it even
within this new GUI. It will probably be the last functionality I will
complete within GSoC - or it is at least a plan - there might be some
shortcomings in the refactoring PRs needed to be repaired, as big changes
often cause minor errors.

2) What am I going to achieve for next week?
I am gonna work on the implementation of new events for AuiNotebook (see
[3]) and I also need to go back to PR [7]. It needs more testing and there
still remains to integrate wx.Panel into g.gui.photo2image and g.gui.image2
target GUI tools. I also have some problems with closing events for
independent GUI Map Displays here that need to be sorted out.

3) Is there any blocking issue?
No, It is not.

[1] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/wxGUIDevelopment/SingleWindow
(https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/wxGUIDevelopment/SingleWindow)