[GRASS-dev] GSoC 2021: Community Bonding Period Report: First steps towards a new GRASS GIS Single-Window GUI

Linda Kladivová L.Kladivova at seznam.cz
Sat Jun 5 04:24:28 PDT 2021

Hello everyone,

I am sending my bonding period report (May 17 - 6 June), more detailed
version can be found in the project wiki: https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/
GSoC/2021/SingleWindowLayout#Bondingperiodreport
(https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2021/SingleWindowLayout#Bondingperiodreport)
.

What did I complete during the Bonding period?

   * Introduced myself in dev list, get in contact with my mentors

After being accepted as a student for GSoC 2021, on May 25 I introduced
myself and my project to grass dev lists (1) and set up the video call with
my mentors  - Anna Petrasova, Vaclav Petras, Martin Landa, and Stefan
Blumentrath. We met on May 25 and discussed various Single-Window GUI
options and their possible shortcomings. We decided to set up a parallel
environment determined for the independent Single-Window GUI development.

   * Prepared the wiki page about the project and set up the GitHub
   repository of the project

I created my project wiki page (2) and added the link to the GSoC 2021
Accepted proposals page (3). I already have GitHub GRASS fork in usage (4)
so I only added the link to the GSoC 2021 Accepted proposals page (3), to my
wiki page (2) and shared it with my mentors.

   * Two PRs regarding Single-Window GUI already merged

The first PR ​https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/1591
(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/1591) deals with general refactoring.
The second one creates the parallel environment where I am gonna further
independently develop the Single-Window GUI, see ​https://github.com/OSGeo/
grass/pull/1604(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/1604). I also created
the PR https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/1598
(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/1598) enhancing GRASS for version 8.0.
It implements easier switching between mapsets in different locations as we
would like GRASS to be as user-friendly as possible. All mentioned PRs are
already merged to master. Meantime, I played with wx.aui demo in order to
create a prototype of the Single-Window GRASS GUI.

Plans for the next week:

   * Start developing the Single-Window GUI
   * Integrate main parts that do not involve much refactoring
   * Have a meeting with mentors on Wednesday

(1) ​https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2021-May/095168.html
(https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2021-May/095168.html)
(2) ​https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2021/SingleWindowLayout
(https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2021/SingleWindowLayout)