[GRASS-dev] [release planning] GRASS GIS 8: create new release branch

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 18:33:58 PDT 2021

The word "branch" in "previewbranch_8_0" seems superfluous to me as it does
in releasebranch_7_8 plus it is two words together without a separator.
Would v8 be a good time to change that practice?

Advantages of just release_8_0:

A1) No 'branch == releasebranch_7_8' or 'switch to the releasebranch_7_8
branch' statements.

A2) Master branch is also only a branch and does not have the word branch
in it.

A3) Both QGIS and GDAL use only "release", not "branch", in the name of
their release branches.

Disadvantages of just release_8_0:

D1) In contexts where you use Git to get a specific branch or tag, you
don't see from the command that it is indeed a branch (in `git --branch
release_8_0`, release_8_0 could, in theory, be a tag). However, you are
likely to correctly guess it is a branch, not a tag, since tags for release
are most often mostly the numbers only, i.e., in format v8.0 or, as in our
case, 8.0.

D2) Scripts constructing the branch name from the version name will break,
however it seems like a better practice to me in this case to parameterize
the whole branch name and there needs to be likely other changes for v8 in
these scripts anyway.

Vaclav