[GRASS-dev] GSoC 2021: Week 1: First steps towards a new GRASS GIS Single-Window GUI

Linda Kladivová L.Kladivova at seznam.cz
Sun Jun 13 02:06:31 PDT 2021

Hello everyone,

I am sending my Week 1 report (June 6 - June 13), more detailed version can
be found in the project wiki: https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2021/
SingleWindowLayout#Week1
(https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2021/SingleWindowLayout#Week1).

What did I complete during the first week?

   * I started to develop Single-Window GUI in the prepared parallel
   environment. I arranged basic widgets (Data Catalog, Display, Modules,
   Console, Python), you can have a look at this PR: ​https://github.com/
   OSGeo/grass/pull/1621(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/1621). After a
   discussion with mentors and other members of the GRASS community, it was
   decided to use Map Display as the center content pane. At the same time,
   we decided to use the python wx.lib.agw.aui library for Single-Window GUI
   development. This library contains a bunch of interesting functions as e.
   g. grouping dockable panes into notebooks. The picture of the current
   Single-Window layout state can be seen on the project wiki.
   * At the same time, I also fixed a bug ​https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/
   issues/1636(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/1636) (​https://github.
   com/OSGeo/grass/pull/1637(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/1637)).

What am I going to achieve for next week?

   * Implement a Map Display as a wx.Panel (now it is only in the form of
   wx.Frame) and integrate this Map Display as a center content pane.

Is there any blocking issue?

No, it is not.

Any suggestions are welcome. :-)

Best wishes,