[GRASS-dev] GRASS GIS ready for PROJ 7?

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Fri Mar 5 11:53:22 PST 2021

Hi Helmut,

On Fri, 05. Mar 2021 at 20:11:03 +0100, Helmut Kudrnovsky wrote:
> in OSGeo4W actually:
>
> C:\>proj --version
> Rel. 6.3.2, May 1st, 2020
>
> OSGeo4W next generation is in a testing phase at the moment.
>
> one of the biggest steps forward is:
>
> >PROJ 7.2 <=

Meanwhile PROJ 8.

> * including more than 500MB data into our standalone installer may explode
>   our used NSIS system.

The standalone installer of QGIS is directly based on OSGeo4W packages.  It
just starts off with the qgis-full package and includes all it's dependencies
and hence also includes GRASS.

The packages are fetched and extracted and packed up again for the installer,
which later runs extracts them on and runs the included postinstall scripts
of the OSGeo4W packages on the target machine.

Except for selecting the target directory and setting whether desktop and/or
start menu shortcuts should be created, there is currently
no way to add more configuration.

The same approach, but starting off with grass instead of qgis-full could also
work for GRASS.

And creatensis.pl was ported to MSI as createmsi.pl - because it now uses the
Microsoft Installer instead of NSIS to work around NSIS' 2GB limit.

The experimental MSI installer also includes GRASS (although not the latest
updates of OSGeo4W regarding os.add_dll_directory necessary for Python 3.9).

See also https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-user/2021-February/048137.html
and https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-user/2021-February/048199.html.

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden            https://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode