[GRASS-dev] Add-ons not building since January

Veronica Andreo veroandreo at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 11:29:28 PDT 2021

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback

El mar, 16 mar 2021 a las 14:57, Moritz Lennert (<
mlennert at club.worldonline.be>) escribió:

> On 16/03/21 14:45, Anna Petrášová wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 8:55 AM Moritz Lennert
> > <mlennert at club.worldonline.be <mailto:mlennert at club.worldonline.be>>
> wrote:
> >
> >     On 16/03/21 06:57, Luca Delucchi wrote:
> >      > On Tue, 16 Mar 2021 at 01:10, Veronica Andreo
> >     <veroandreo at gmail.com <mailto:veroandreo at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >      >>
> >      >> Hi devs,
> >      >
> >      > Hi Vero,
> >      >
> >      >> I'm teaching a GRASS course and one of the students using
> >     windows told me that he didn't have i.landsat.qa <
> http://i.landsat.qa>.
> >      >>
> >      >> Checking the log, the last building date seems to be January
> >     26th [0]. i.landsat.qa <http://i.landsat.qa> was added a couple of
> >     weeks later, hence not there.
> >      >>
> >      >> Is there a way to re trigger the building of add-ons for
> >     windows? Or an alternative solution for windows users to install
> >     add-ons?
> >      >
> >      > I'm not a windows user, so I could say something wrong, since it
> is a
> >      > python script could be enough to copy the python file into addons
> >      > folder and make it executable (on Unix it works)

Yes, I just don't even know where grass add-ons are in windows.

> >     I think in MS Windows, this implies creating a .bat file which then
> >     call the .py script. Look at how the current version of the scripts
> in
> >     i.landsat (or any other Python addons) are organized.
> >
> >     You can create the zip file yourself and make it available to the
> >     students and they can point to the file directly with url=.

No idea how to build these bat files myself... Can I do that from linux? Or
you mean, just zip the makefile + html + py? Sorry for my ignorance here.

>     Spo yes, it is definitely possible, but it is always a bummer when you
> >     have to use such an approach to install an extension when g.extension
> >     should "just work". Just makes GRASS GIS less credible.

Fully agree. I feel really frustrated when teaching GRASS to Windows users
(all of the time since most new users come with windows machines), while
not being one... I'd love to convince them of the great things that they
can do with GRASS, but then this (among others) kind of issues arise...

> Yes, there seems to be a specific issue with the grass78 addons. This
> said: is there any special reason to differentiate between grass78 and
> grass79 addons for Python scripts ?
>
> Vero, you could try if the student can install by pointing url to
>
> https://wingrass.fsv.cvut.cz/grass79/x86_64/addons/grass-7.9.dev/i.landsat.zip
> .

I told the student to try this since it seemed the most straightforward of
all potential solutions, let's see what he reports back.

best,
Vero