[GRASS-dev] Next Tasks For The GSoC Project

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 18:28:28 PDT 2021

On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 4:03 PM Sunveer Singh <singhsunveer54 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> What are some next tasks on which I can work to familiarize myself more
> with the project and demonstrate my skills.

First, let me extend the question to other potential mentors to see if they
have other things they would like to see for the test of skills.

As for myself, although I already fixed the most needed pieces [1, 2] of
the other testing-related GSoC idea [3], the test of skills still applies:

*Fix failing tests and/or write new tests (more is better). Alternatively,
addressing a smaller problem in the testing framework is a good task, too.*

Adding new tests is something you are familiar with from the past, so you
can make a new submission which matches your current level of skills.
Fixing existing tests has a value for the documentation-based test project
you are planning to submit as some of the tasks might be similar. Tests in
both grass and grass-addons repos count. I don't see any "smaller problem
in the testing framework" at this point but if you do, you can try to fix
it.

[1] https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/1290
[2] https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/1362
[3]
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2021#IntegratetestingframeworkwithGitHubActions

> Also, should I start building my GSoC Proposal?

Yes, although that's really up to you. However, we want to see a draft of
your proposal at the beginning of the submission window so that we can
comment and you can incorporate the feedback before the submission period
ends.

My suggestion is to send another email to the mailing list, not focusing on
GSoC, but really for general discussion, to see what people expect from
this and how they think your idea would work. This can help you define for
the proposal what you are aiming at in your project. Then, for the
proposal, you should also try to match your design with your skill level.