[GRASS-dev] [release planning] GRASS GIS 8: create new release branch

Veronica Andreo veroandreo at gmail.com
Fri May 21 07:01:53 PDT 2021

Hi all,

El jue, 20 may 2021 a las 17:21, Maris Nartiss (<maris.gis at gmail.com>)
escribió:

> Hello Makrus et al.

> > On Sat, May 15, 2021 at 4:05 AM Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >> I actually expected that you would be a "beta" release, not an RC,
> marked
> >> by tagging a commit on master branch with the code as is.
> >> This would avoid any backporting,
> >
> > Yes, that's an alternative idea.
> >
> >> but perhaps, it is not creating enough focus for 8.0 and having a 8.0
> >> branch gives more freedom in what goes into the master branch.
> >
> > Indeed, a full blown new release branch for G800 would open the master
> > branch for new (radical) changes.
> >
> > @All: your opinion?
>
> I would like to get PR #1501 (depends on #1272) into master before
> branching as it is already quite large and disruptive.
> It is almost ready (today I wrote first of three management
> functions). I want to finish lib part before merging – management
> module can be then created as a separate PR at some point later.

I'd really like to see these changes merged before the creation of grass 8
branch.

Maybe we can agree on a deadline that suits both the need to have an 8
branch for the upcoming conferences where a GRASS 8 demo is already
accepted (*FOSSGIS is in ~2 weeks*) and the time needed to complete ongoing
development at least up to a working version that can be merged.

@Maris Nartiss <maris.gis at gmail.com> what do you think?

my 0.2 cents
Vero