[GRASS-dev] GRASS 8 addons

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Sun Sep 5 17:38:50 PDT 2021

Hi Ondrej,

On Sat, Sep 4, 2021 at 3:24 AM Ondřej Pešek <pesej.ondrek at gmail.com> wrote:

> Currently, there is no GRASS 8 branch in the addons repo. Is there a plan
> to create one, or are the changes considered too minor to open a new branch
> for that?

The plan is to create one. You can follow the progress here:

https://github.com/OSGeo/grass-addons/issues/528

I'm waiting with the v8 addon branch for the v8 branch in core or close to
8.0.0 release. Partially, to avoid people having to make changes to both
addon branches. However, it might be more advantageous at this point to
create the v8 branch in addons since some infrastructure needs to be
updated anyway. (Martin?)

> Another solution is having some version checks in the GRASS 7 branch. But
> personally, I do not support this idea as it seems weird to me to have an
> if statement "if grass.__version__ > 7" in a code that is explicitly
> defined as designated for GRASS 7.

I agree that's not ideal, esp. since that can be addressed by the different
branches. However, there will be at least some effort to backport changes
to Addons from 7 to 8 and having a single version of code may be more
practical for some people. So, I think we will leave that decision to
individual addon authors. Having said that, a recommended procedure would
be nice.

Best,
Vaclav